The Semsey Manor House Demjata
The municipality of Demjata stands on the site of an old village dating back to the 12th century. In the 13th and 14th centuries Demjata was ruled by the owner of the Šariš Castle. In the next 4 centuries the municipality belonged to several noble families – in the 15th century it became the property Bornemiss family, then it belonged to the Bocskay family, the Okolicsány family and in the 19th century to the Semsey family. In documents from the 14th to the 16th century, Demjata appears under the name Demethe – a Hungarian name derived from the original Slovak personal name. In the middle of the 15th century, the village was divided into Nižná (Lower) and Vyšná (Upper) Demjata. In the second half of the 17th century, a second manor house was built on the eastern side of the Sekčov stream –”Semsey“.
Originally a Renaissance building from the middle of the 17th century, later rebuilt in the Baroque style. It is a block two-storey building with a square floor plan. The façade is smooth, featuring rectangular windows with shutters. The dominant feature is the entrance portal with an ear-shaped chambranle bearing the coat of arms and the date of renovation – 1736. Renaissance vaults were preserved in the interior. The building was originally surrounded by a wall with an entrance gate with a semicircular niche.