Roman Catholic Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The Roman Catholic Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary was built in the middle of the 13th century probably by the Order of Saint John, as evidenced by their coat of arms (a double cross on a boat) on both sides of the triumphal arch, the architectural style of the church and the rich stone decoration. In the church there are Romanesque elements – consoles of stone ribs of the sanctuary vaults, two pastophores on the east wall of the presbytery – and in the exterior a stone ledge with zoomorphic motifs under the window of the tower. The Gothic features are present on the stone pastophorium on the north wall of the sanctuary and the stone baptistery with a twisted stem. The brick tower of the church was already standing before 1438. The church was allegedly built by the Order of Saint John, as the knights ruled over and protected the former castle above the nearby Medzianky. They had their own monastery in Hanušovce where they allegedly operated a hospital. It is believed the knights learnt secret healing techniques in the Holy Land. During the restoration works in the church in 1997, a stone epitaph with the coat of arms of the Sóos family was discovered. After the works finished, the coat of arms was installed on the wall of the southern vestibule of the church, which local parishioners call the “Count’s Room”. According to written records, Ján Sóos was buried here as the last male descendant of this family branch (ultimus Sóos).