The original Greek Catholic wooden church in Nižný Komarník was probably built in the middle of the 18th century. This wooden temple burned down during the First World War. Today’s wooden church was built in 1938 and is dedicated (like the original one before) to the feast of the Blessed Virgin Mary the Guardian. The Blessed Virgin Mary protects us from the attacks of evil spirits and misfortune and guides us to be the best versions of ourselves.
The church was built under the supervision of an architect as the only Greek Catholic church in Slovakia built from logs. At the end of World War II, in 1944, the municipality was destroyed by troops and the temple was seriously damaged. In 1946, the temple was repaired and some major repairs were carried out in the mid-1960s. The temple consists of a shrine, a nave and a vestibule. Each part of the building has a tower with a dome and a cross. The roof is made in the shape of an octagon and covered with wooden shingles. This temple has two entrances: the southern entrance (to the sanctuary) and the western entrance (to the vestibule). The interior of the temple is well lit thanks to the large windows placed in the nave and in the sanctuary.
Between the nave and the shrine stands a richly decorated wall with three doors. This iconostasis dates from the first half of the 18th century and has an atypical three-tier architecture. Unfortunately, the iconostasis misses a number of icons depicting the great Byzantine holidays. Icons of the prophets hang on the wall of the sanctuary. In the main tier of the iconostasis are the following icons: St. Nicholas of Myra, Hodegetria, Christ as a Teacher and Master and an icon of the Protection of the Mother of God. The royal door consists of two wings depicting four evangelists.
Above the royal door is the icon of the Last Supper. The main tier of the iconostasis displays a series of holy apostles with the icon of Jesus the Great High Priest. At the very top of the iconostasis is the icon of the crucifixion of Christ with the Mother of God and St. John the Evangelist on his sides. This iconostasis is decorated with carved images of plants. On the walls of the temple hang the icons of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Nativity of Jesus, the Ascension of Jesus and the Feast of the Exaltation of the Venerable and Life-Giving Cross.
The temple has a wooden bell tower with one bell. The bell tower with a three-armed cross is covered with sheet metal.
The iconostasis was restored between 2002 and 2005. The complex renovation of the wooden temple took place in 2003-2004.