Wooden Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, Hutka

The original Greek Catholic wooden church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, Hutka.

The original Greek Catholic church was built in the village of Hutka in the last third of the 18th century. Its patrons are St. Cosmas and Damian. However, the church was destroyed by fire in 1915. A new (also originally Greek Catholic) wooden church was built in its place in 1923. It was dedicated to the Birth of the Blessed Virgin. The new church was constructed in a hurry. It has three rooms with three towers and crosses. The entrance is in the west and the whole body of the temple is lined with slabs. The main tower stands at the front of the building. At present, two bells are hung in the tower, one of which dates from the 18th century. In the middle of the roof above the nave is a tower with an onion dome topped with a one-armed decorative cross. Thanks to the rectangular windows in the vestibule of the nave and the sanctuary the temple is filled with natural light. Even though the temple has no iconostasis, it features three icons depicting the Mother of God, Christ the Teacher and the icon of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin which are installed separately. These icons were created at different times, as evidenced by the difference in style of the icons Mother of God and Christ the Teacher (the latter is older).
In 2000, the church was converted into an Orthodox church.


Pravoslávna cirkevná obec
Vyšný Mirošov 71, 09011 Vyšný Mirošov
tel. 054/7592375

Zdroj: www.drevenechramy.sk

Fotoy: Henryk Bielamowicz